Monday, May 14, 2007

Re: What is the way of the empath?

This is how it works. I created this blog back in January and it is now May. Now, I am ready to blog for hours, maybe even days! I am ready to download it all from my Spirit. This is how it works being open to the flow and not forcing it. So, here I go. So what is the way of the empath?

I don't believe there is one way to anything. I believe that feelings-by their nature-flow. Yet for me-being a primarily feeling based person, I have come to know myself and how my feelings manifest. People say that I have a calming presence. I never thought of myself as a healer. I try not to. It is a trap, because I know that healing comes through me. I am a vessel. People call me a bright light. I ask who brings light to the light bringer? My flame feels so low sometimes that it is about to go out. Yet, even in those times-sometimes especially in those times-people tell me that I bless them. I have come to believe that the way of the empath is all of it. It is the light and the shadow. My Godmother used to tell me, "The brighter the light, the bigger the shadow." So, what is the way of the empath? I realized some time ago that I have a set of rules that I live by.

The way of the empath is:

Compassion: To me compassion means that I see myself in every situation. It is not denial of my feelings. It is owning my feelings and finding myself in the behavior. It is owning my part in it-in all of it-from environmental destruction to the miscommunication with my friend. Compassion is not passivity. I do not confuse empathy with sympathy and I do not confuse kindness for weakness.

Feeling and Intuition: I cherish my gift of intuitive feeling as a gift from my ancestors and Spirit. I do not confuse my ability with ego. I feel and I feel some more. I trust my feelings. I have found that the majority of my pain comes from when I do not listen to my feelings. Sometimes the external circumstances and my feelings conflict. It can be counter intutitive to follow my heart when all circumstances tell you to follow the condition. Following the path of the heart takes much courage

Service: I believe that empaths are organic unifiers. As we can feel everything and everyone, we are able to create links and bridges between people and perspectives. Where others find disconnects, we discover common threads. We help people unify within themselves and between each other. We serve oneness.

Sustainability: I include myself in the definition of my service work. I ensure that I give to myself as I give to others. I give to others in ways that supports my own replenishment. I know I cannot give from a half empty place and that my work is ultimately sustainable when I serve in a way that is sustainable to myself.

Courageous Love: I ask what would love do now? I search for the highest good in the situation. I know that every situation requires a different response. Sometimes love requires allowing others to walk their path without you. Sometimes love is letting go. Sometimes love is don't call here anymore. Love is looking at it with a cold eye. It is seeing life on life's terms and loving it, because of how it is, not how you want it to be.

Spirit: I know that I am guided and held by Spirit. I know that spirituality is the foundation upon which I live, work and breathe. I know that I call forth the people that need my energy as I call forth beneficial energies that are required for my growth and development.

The way of the empath is a special path. I had not thought of it as a path until last year. I was thumbing through one of those huge birthday books-you know the ones that are like a 1,000 pages and are so large they damn themselves to be coffee table books until they are given away as they take up too much space? I looked up my birthday-30 June and 1971 and it said, "Way of the Empath." I heard a bell. Yes, that is me. I knew it then, but I never thought it would bloom in to a practice. I never thought that it could be my work in the world. I guess you cannot run from who you are. It expresses itself-constructively or destructively-but it always expresses itself. Empaths always express themselves. Thank you for allowing me to express myself to you.

No comments: